Sie sind hier: Startseite Studying FAQs


1. Matriculation

2. Credit Transfer

3. Study Abroad

4. Course Registration

5. Exams

6. B.A./M.A.-Thesis

7. Other Questions


1. Matriculation

  • Do I have to take a language test in order to enrol for the B.A. English Studies?

No. Admission to English Studies is not restricted at present and no language test is required. Proof of a sufficient level of proficiency in English and one other foreign language must be provided, however (for further information please see: Link).


  • Can I combine the major with the minor “English Studies” ?

No. English Studies can be combined with most subjects offered by the Faculty of Arts and with the minor “Celtic Studies”, offered by our own institute. Because of the overlap of much of the content, however, the major cannot be combined with the minor “English Studies”. 

(See:Verlaufsplan B.A. English Studies and Verlaufsplan BA Minor).


  •  I am studying Geography as my major. Can I choose English and American Studies as my minor?

Yes, but only as a subsidiary subject. Credits for subsidiary subjects must be acquired in two courses where one course must be worth a minimum of 12 credit points and both courses together at least 30. As a student taking subsidiary subjects, you will acquire fewer credits, but need to attend fewer courses.


  • Do I have to apply for the M.A. programmes of the IAAK or can I simply enrol?

All three M.A. programmes of the IAAK require an application. During the application period, you will be able to apply online (Link). The application process is completely electronic, so please do not send applications by post.

"Informationsseite der Fakultät zur Bewerbung um einen Master-Studienplatz”:


  • I do not yet have the skills in German that are required for the M.A. programmes. Can I still apply?

It is possible to apply for the M.A. programmes of the IAAK without the required proficiency in German and you may even be admitted. However, at the time of enrolment, you will have to give proof of your proficiency in German.


  • Do international students need to speak German even though the study programmes of the IAAK are taught in English?

International students should have a level of German language proficiency which will allow them to cope with administrative matters and formalities in German. More details about German language requirements for international students here: Link.


2. Credit Transfer


  • How do I go about transferring credits from another university, or getting credits from abroad recognised?

Contact our Administrative Coordinator Dr. Nicole Meier and provide her with a transcript specifying what credits you have achieved in which fields of study, or send in your certificates. You will then be given an indication of which credits are transferable. The next step is to fill in the online accreditation form (Link). You should fill this in and save this (pdf) and send it to the Administrative Coordinator, who will make further adjustments (modules, conversion of credit points etc.) and sign your application. You can then collect the completed form and hand it in to the Examinations Office.


Credit Point Discrepancy

  • Credit Point discrepancy Master of Education vs Master of Arts

Please note that as a student of our Master of Education programme, you might encounter a Credit Point discrepancy in some modules. The Master of Arts students get more credit in their modules (an example would be the module “Intercultural Communication” of MA Applied Linguistics where Master of Arts students gain 10 credit points whereas Master of Education students only gain 6 Credit Points).
We want to clarify that this seemingly discrepant distribution of credit points is due to a substantial difference in the workload.
The difference can be manifested in the length of your final term paper, but can also be due to lesser workload in class (e.g. presentations, preparations, response papers etc.).
Please ask your teacher about specifics.



3. Study Abroad


  • Is it possible to spend a semester or a full academic year studying abroad?

Yes it is. Both the ERASMUS programme and the Bonn Study Abroad scheme offer places at partner universities abroad, including English-speaking countries. More details at: Link.


4. Course Registration


  • When do I have to register for my courses?

Winter Term: 

1st Registration Period (1. Anmeldungphase): ca. mid August- beginning of September, 

2nd Registration Period (2. Anmeldungsphase): ca. mid September - end of September, 

Late Registration Period( Nachbelegungsphase): ca. end of October/ beginning of November.

Summer Term: 

1st Registration Period (1. Anmeldungphase): ca. beginning of March- mid March,

2nd Registration Period (2. Anmeldungsphase): ca. end of March - beginning of April,

Late Registration Period( Nachbelegungsphase): ca. end of April. 

For current semester specific information see "Studienkalender" (Link)


  • Is it possible to change the structure of the curriculum, for example, taking a course of the Third Year while still being in the Second Year?

- Yes, individual choices regarding alternative structures are possible, if congruent with the examination regulations. Since those students who study according to the Prüfungsordnung 2018 have to choose seven courses in their second year (6 credit points each), it would even make sense to distribute this workload to more than only this year (e.g. complete one module in your third year).


  • Joining an undergraduate research colloquium is a requirement in the 6th and final semester of the B.A. English Studies. Which field of study should it cover?

The purpose of the colloquium is to assist and support students in researching and writing their final-year dissertation. Consequently, you should attend a research seminar in the same field as your paper.


  • Help! My courses have disappeared from Basis during the last week of term!

No, don’t worry, you have not been exmatriculated or dropped. At the end of every semester your lecturers will confirm that you have indeed completed the course and your status will go from ‘Zugelassen’ to 'Teilgenommen’. When you have been marked as having completed the course (Teilgenommen) the course will disappear from your BASIS schedule and will reappear on your transcript.


5. Exams


  • When do I have to register for my exams?

Exam Registration Period:  

Winter Term:          1st Period: ca. mid January

                               2nd  Period ca. mid March
Summer Term:        1st Period: ca. beginning of July
                               2nd Period: ca. end of August


  • Do I have to register on BASIS for term papers as well?

Yes. You have to register for a term paper just like for any other exam. Besides, please fulfil the full requirements by printing out the form found on BASIS and handing it to your teacher.

  • Basis does not show me an exam with my teacher. Is something wrong; should I be worried?

No worries. The registration for the exams shows the name of the person in charge of the module (Modulbeauftragte). Click this and your own examiner/supervisor can nevertheless sign your exam form (Prüfungsformular).


  • Where and when can I access my written exams, after they have been marked and the results have
    been published on BASIS?

Some lecturers will announce a date at which exams may be accessed either via email or via a notice on their notice board. Should a lecturer not specify a date, you can either contact them and ask for access to your exam or make an appointment to see the paper with the Prüfungsamt.

  • After failing an exam, do I have to retake the course in order to take the exam again?

You are not legally obliged to sit through the course a second time, all you have to do is pass the exam at the end and register for it. Please be aware, however, that no two courses are exactly the same and final exams vary in content and priority of topics.


  • Why can’t I unregister from my term paper?

Once you register on basis for your term paper you cannot unregister. For more information please see the Leitfaden zur Anmeldung von Seminarprüfungen


6. B.A./M.A.Thesis


  • How long should my final dissertation (Bachelorarbeit/ Masterarbeit) be?

Your B.A. thesis should have a minimum of 35 and a maximum of 70 content pages (A4), excluding title pages, bibliography etc.

The M.A. thesis should have a minimum of 80 and a maximum of 100 content pages. 

Everything you need to know about writing and submitting your research paper is covered in the "Handreichung zur Bachelor-Arbeit" (Link) and the "Handreichung zur Master-Arbeit" (Link).


  • Is it obligatory to write my B.A. thesis with the lecturer of the colloquium I am registered for or can I choose the lecturer with whom I want to write my thesis?

You don’t have to write your B.A. thesis with the lecturer of the colloquium you are registered for. You can choose a lecturer on your own who must be willing to assist and support you in writing your thesis. If this one lecturer does offer a colloquium himself, you should of course try to register for this one.

7. Other Questions


  • Is attendance obligatory?

Attendance is obligatory in all language practice modules.


  • How do I receive my term paper results?

For your results, check your transcript on BASIS. You should also contact your teacher for further feedback. 


  • Where can I find a lecturer’s email address and office hours?

All contact details of all staff-members at the IAAK are listed on the IAAK website in the section "people":  Link. For any member of staff not listed (tutors or recent additions to the faculty) please contact the module coordinator or the respective professor. Of course, you can also always contact the department office at [Email protection active, please enable JavaScript.] or just drop by in person during the opening hours.


  • When and where do my courses take place?

All information regarding current courses at the IAAK and most other faculties can be found on BASIS. For course details, please click on the blue headings. Should there be no details available, please contact the department office at [Email protection active, please enable JavaScript.]


  • Is it possible to attend courses voluntarily and without being registered? If so, is there a chance to get some form of an acknowledgement for regular attendance and active participation?

Yes, you can attend courses you are not registered for, but only if there is enough space left and the lecturer agrees on that. Those students who study according to the Prüfungsordnung 2010 can acquire an acknowledgement for attending this course in their Zusatzleistungen (see § 26).