Sie sind hier: Startseite Studying International Programmes ERASMUS ERASMUS FAQ



  •  Erasmus scholarship

What are my chances to receive an Erasmus scholarship?
In the last years we were able to offer Erasmus scholarships to the vast majority of applicants. Still, every year it depends on the number of applications. Generally stated, the chances are higher than in most other scholarship programs.
If we liked your application, but it is not possible to assign one of your favorite universities to you, we will try to suggest another option.

  • Partner Universities:

How many partner universities can I apply for?
We recommend that you concentrate on two or three universities and give reasons what makes them your top choice.

Can I apply for the partner universities of my second/minor subject?
Yes, you can apply for partner universities of either your major or minor subject. Or even both. However, be aware that each department has its own application procedure and deadline and that you cannot mix the partner universities of each department in one application.

  •  Letter of motivation:

What should my letter of motivation look like?
In your letter of motivation, please refer to your personal motive to study abroad. Consider your experiences with foreign cultures and languages, your academic and non-academic qualifications and what differentiates you from your fellow students.
Most important is that you can give convincing reason for your university choice. In your letter of motivation you can refer to the following questions: Why do you want to study at the specific university? What will you gain from the study stay? What classes does the partner institution offer that will advance you academically?
Let your application stick out in a creative and professional manner.

  • Recommendation Letter

Who can write the recommendation letter for me?
Any teacher of your major or minor is accepted except for Wissenschaftliche Hilfskräfte and Lehrbeauftragte.      

I don’t know any teacher personally? Who should I ask?
Please feel free to see one of your teachers during his/her office hour. Tell him about your intention to go abroad and what you expect from your stay. Your teacher will be happy to evaluate your plans and fill the recommendation form for you.
Be aware that you must not see their recommendation remark and that they will either send the recommendation form to us directly or give it to you in a closed envelope!

  • Language Certificate

Do I need a language certificate?
Some partner universities ask for a language certificate. But you won’t need it before you will be officially accepted for an Erasmus scholarship.
Once you are an official Outgoing, please see section below.


  • Language Certificate

I need a language certificate. Where can I get it?
If our partner university asks for a language certificate, you can either hand in your TOEFL or IELTS or you can do a DAAD Sprachzertifikat. Contact  [Email protection active, please enable JavaScript.] to get more information.


  • Registration at partner university

Once I received my Erasmus acceptance, will I be registered at the partner university automatically?
No. It is of major importance that you still enroll with our partner university! After we chose you for an Erasmus scholarship, we will inform our partner about the time and duration of your stay.
Our partner will then contact you and send the information on how to register at the university. Every university has differing registration deadlines. That is why you have to read the information very carefully and must not miss the deadline!
Don’t worry; we will talk it all over in our information meeting after your Erasmus acceptance.


  •  Housing

Where will I live?
Most partner universities offer student dormitories you can apply for.
It is up to you whether you take up the offer or if you prefer to look for an apartment on your own. Both options have their advantages and disadvantages. Before you decide what’s best for you, find out about the housing market in the respective city.



  • Course choice

Where do I find the list of courses?
You can find all courses on Basis.

Can I participate in all courses?
If you are a BA student you can participate in all BA-modules. MA students can enrol in all courses. Please take part in at least one course at the English Department.


  • Course enrollment

How do I apply for a course?
At the English department, you apply to a course by writing an email to the respective teacher and asking them for course admission. Please also introduce yourself personally during the first session. There are usually spaces reserved for Erasmus students in every class.
The enrollment might work differently at other departments. If you have questions, please contact the respective Erasmus coordinator.

You can find a list of all Erasmus coordinators here: Link.


  • ECTS points

How many ECTS points will I receive for a particular course?
Here you can find the list of ECTS points you will receive at the English department:

ECTS points for the Academic Year 2019/20

If you want to know how many ECTS points you will receive at other departments, please contact the respective department's Erasmus coordinator: Link.

  •  Course attendance

I missed the first session of a course. What should I do?
Please attend the next lesson and explain to your teacher why you missed the first one.

  •  Contact and Signatures

Who is my Erasmus contact person and where can I have my documents signed?
Your Erasmus coordinator is Laura Kästner.

E-Mail: [Email protection active, please enable JavaScript.].

Office: Rabinstraße 8, 53111 Bonn, Room 02-055.

Office hour: Tuesdays, 11 am - 12 pm. If you wish to attend, please register via email beforehand.

In case you are not an English Department incoming or if you are in doubt, you can always ask the international office Bonn (Gudrun Hille). They will be able to tell you who your contact person is.

  • Extension of stay

I’d like to extend my stay. How should I organize it?
We are always happy if you want to extend your stay and we will try to make it possible. Here is what needs to be done: Checklist

I would like to become a regular degree student in Bonn after my Erasmus stay. Is it possible?
If you want to finalize your studies in Bonn, you will have to enrol as a regular degree student. That means you will have to fulfill certain German language requirements. For details, please get in touch with Mr Haas of the Studentensekretariat:
Alexander Haas
Universität Bonn
Abt. 1.3, Studentensekretariat / Dezernat 1
Postanschrift: 53012 Bonn
Dienstgebäude: Poppelsdorfer Allee 49, 53115 Bonn
Telefon 02 28/ 73 3915
Fax 02 28/ 73 99 3915
E-Mail: [Email protection active, please enable JavaScript.]