Sie sind hier: Startseite Studying International Programmes ERASMUS Erasmus Traineeship

Erasmus Traineeship


You want to do an internship or work placement in another European country? The University of Bonn supports study-related traineeships of 2 to 12 months in over 30 European countries within the framework of Erasmus+.

More information about the programme can be found here.


What is an Erasmus+ traineeship?

How long should the traineeship be?

How much financial support will I receive?

How long should the work placement be?

How do I apply?

Erasmus Internships after Brexit


  • What is an Erasmus+ traineeship? 

An Erasmus+ traineeship is an independently organized internship or work placement that is financially supported by the Erasmus+ programme. You can apply for an internship in a company or institution of your interest anywhere in Europe, regardless of the cities where our partner universities are located. Excluded are EU institutions that administer EU programmes and German embassies. The internship must be related to your studies. 

In addition to the financial support, the Erasmus+ traineeship will be listed in your "Diploma Supplement" (final degree certificate).

For more information about the programme please visit the website of the International Office


  • How long should the traineeship be?

Your traineeship abroad can last from a minimum of 2 months to a maximum of 12 months. In every cycle of study (Bachelor, Master, PhD), you can spend up to 12 months abroad with Erasmus+. This time can be spent either as a student or as a trainee.

You can also go for a traineeship abroad as a recent graduate. In this case, your traineeship must occur within one year of your graduation and you must apply while still being enrolled in your higher education institution. 


  • How much financial support will I receive?

The monthly funding rates are identical for all universities in Germany and are adjusted annually. The amount of money you will receive depends on the country where the internship will take place. You will get more money for countries with higher living costs. For traineeships after 01 April 2022 you will receive between 480 and 600 Euro per month. For traineeships outside the UK, you can apply for a green travel allowance if you are not traveling by plane. 

The mobility grant is paid in two installments, at the beginning and at the end of the internship abroad. The International Office informs all selected Erasmus trainees about the necessary formalities and is responsible for the distribution of the financial grants. More information can be found here (link to website from IO).

Of course, you can also be paid by your employer or receive BAföG if you are eligible. Please visit the website linked above for more information about funding.


  • How do I apply?

Once you have arranged your internship, you can apply for an Erasmus scholarship. The Erasmus team of the IAAK will consider your application and, if successful, refer you to the International Office who are responsible for the funding. 

Please send your application in a pdf file to [Email protection active, please enable JavaScript.]. Please make sure to apply at least at least two months before the internship starts (four months if the internship is in the UK!)


Students studying for a teaching degree: Please submit your application for an Erasmus+ scholarship to the BZL!


Application documents:

        • Data Sheet
        • CV
        • Outline of the planned course of your work experience and your motivation
        • Acceptance of receiving institution
        • Transcript of Records (see basis “Notenübersicht)

  • Erasmus internships after Brexit

Internships in the UK can still be funded by the Erasmus+ programme (until May 2023). However, the conditions have changed significantly since Brexit came into effect on 01 January 2021. Entry is only possible with a Temporary Worker-Government Authorised Exchange Visa (Tier5), which can only be applied for after receiving a reference number. The application for this reference number at the British Council can only be made through the International Office. As the procedure until obtaining the visa is lengthy, you should start with the first steps at least 4 months before the start of the internship.

For further information about the temporary worker visa click here

For more information about the programme please visit the website of the International Office